Avoiding Fake Seller Quotations

Print Bookmark
Beware of scammers posing as TradeKey Members

TradeKey encourages and promotes fair and safe trading practices that are beneficial to both buyers and sellers.

Recently, a new kind of complaint has emerged from buyers stating that they received Quotations from TradeKey that are fraudulent. They identify that the quotation is made in the same template as the typical TradeKey quotations format is made in, however, they seem to be coming in from a personal email address directly to the buyers email address.

Moreover, the seller details mentioned in the said quotation message seem to be those of an existing GoldKey member with good credentials; however the email address is changed to the scammer’s email address so that the buyer may contact them. Once the fraud has been conducted, the buyer will obviously file a complaint against the mentioned seller. However, the seller will have no clue about this buyer, as the buyer didn’t actually ever contact the real seller, and instead contacted someone pretending to be the seller.

This kind of concern is generally known as identity theft. A scammer pretending to be a registered (and even Premium) supplier at TradeKey.com can take advantage of first time buyers who would naturally assume that with a properly designed quotation template with the TradeKey logo on it, the sender is obviously contacting them using TradeKey. Unfortunately for the first time buyers, that is not the case.

There are a few checks that can be made to see that any inquiry coming in to your personal email inbox is in fact from a registered TradeKey supplier or not.

1.    Firstly and foremost, check the sender to see if it came from a personal email address (e.g. iamarandomguy@whatevermail.com etc.) In this case, AVOID replying to this email as this is obviously not a registered member at TradeKey.com, and may not even be associated with TradeKey or any of its registered sellers.

2.    Moreover, please note that any email coming from TradeKey.com about a seller inquiry will be sent using an email with the prefix @tradekey.com at the end. This is an automated email that cannot be replied to directly and will always contain the domain of TradeKey.com at the end.

3.    Another thing to note is that TradeKey’s automated system does not send a direct quotation to the email inbox. It simply sends an alert that you have received a message or quotation at your TradeKey account and also provides a link to your message center from where you can check the actual message (similar to how Facebook sends message updates)

It’s also important to note that it’s recommended to use TradeKey.com’s message center for any and all email communication instead of switching to personal emails, no matter how insistent the seller might be. Also, GoldKey members at TradeKey.com also use TradeMate Chat Messenger services as well, so you can chat with them using TradeKey’s convenient web chat client.

And as always, always be sure to have a particular seller and contact checked from TradeKey before finalizing a deal. The issue above has not just been highlighted by buyer, but also from concerned sellers who fear the theft of their identity online.

Stay safe, Trade safe.

Note: You must sign in to rate this message.
Article Comments
China
TCP: 106

Print
Bookmark

Re: Avoiding Fake Seller Quotations

By www letel net on Aug 24, 2011 9:01
TradeKey , well done
Malaysia
TCP: 104

Print
Bookmark

By FCW on Aug 25, 2011 14:49

This is a good tip but came a bit too late for me.  I have just been scammed matching exactly what have been described here ie fake quotations with personal email of the scammer and also providing good reference to Goldkey Tradekey members.

Since this is already know to Tradekey, they should have warn new members like me when we join Tradekey. Tradekey should at least protect their members with newletters, elert emails, etc.
Now I am very sceptical to trade using Tradekey .  Anytime I can be scammed.

This was a bitter lession learned.

Malaysia
TCP: 104

Print
Bookmark

By FCW on Aug 25, 2011 15:00
Judging from the number quotations that I have received coming from personal email address, the question I have is that  how did these people get to intercept my query to the tradekey members for a price quotation. ? And the number of quotations that I have received seems to be more than query request that I have made.  Is there a flaw in the Tradekey System that the scammers are taking advantage of ? I am sorry to be so direct.
USA
TCP: 102

Print
Bookmark

By twincam on Jul 3, 2012 13:56
 This happened to me also I lost $300.00 they had a fake link to tradekey if I would have clicked onto it I would have known this seller does not even sell electronics such as iPhones .So if your email does not have a valid tradekey link you could get scammed like me. This guys name was lau chin but not the real one.
USA
TCP: 114

Print
Bookmark

By unaware on Sep 7, 2012 15:24
can some one please explain fake seller quotations in the simpliest of terms  i having trouble finding a reputable company to do business with  are there any out there   
Albania
TCP: 102

Print
Bookmark

By niklame on Nov 6, 2012 14:15
 very described at point of view, but is always risk that scams entering and have their ways to find the emails of honest and serious buyers, there is also vice verse, where we find fake buyers to quote the market price.

my suggestion is, Always buyer or seller rep to be alert and to manage the offers or requests case by case,

sometimes, as i think everyone knows here, you have good seller and good buyer, but the deal may go dead...this is what i say every deal has to be act as the first one..
Philippines
TCP: 10

Print
Bookmark

By Leny on Apr 3, 2013 14:23
 Thanks a lot, Tradekey,  for the info.  I'm a first time buyer.  Now,  I am having second thoughts with the deal i just made with the "supplier".  I have to make a payment of USD 640 and the supplier is insistent that I make the payment bank to bank.  I will thoroughly check the supplier's company first.